Saturday 4 August 2012

SM4CC SERIES: PEOPLE’S VIEWS – PART 1




I have being getting some response from people who have read various posts under the series. The feedback has being mostly verbal, hence, I tried convincing some of the people who I spoke with to put their opinions on document and succeeded. Hopefully with this, more people/you would be encouraged to either comment on the posts or send their/your opinions concerning climate change, environmental issues etc. to adeyemioluwatosin@gmail.com. Thank you.

Below are the opinions of my first two respondents – I do hope you enjoy reading them, the issues they mentioned and seeing from their perspective. Remember, I look forward to your comments and opinions on anything and everything “environmental” in Nigeria. Enjoy.

“According to statistics, Nigeria is one of the lowest contributors to global warming. it is also amongst the least countries effecting a change in global warming. The average Nigerian has probably never heard the phrase “global warming” but, is very much aware that the weather has been acting strange. How exactly do you educate people who live well below poverty level about global warming; what is it exactly you want them to do? Do you want to tell the old lady who roasts fish for commercial purpose in order to feed her family of seven that she is affecting the ozone when she hardly is? The sad fact is the government and wealthy corporations would rather sand fill the ocean than fix what is already broken, part of Lagos is now beneath sea level. Its high time Nigerians both rich and small take responsibility for its environment. Don't block the drainage with waste you know isn't biodegradable then weep when your streets are flooded because the truth is, in an indirect way, you invited the flood. Waste that cannot be broken down by living organisms are known as non-biodegradable (wikipedia.org ;-D). In other words, waste such as those aluminum cans the carbonated drinks you consume come in, would take about 80 years to decompose. In some countries, manufacturers pay consumers money when they return its containers for recycling (make money; save money; clean the streets). We would achieve more on reversing global warming if we had more regards for how we dispose waste.”

“Climate change is no news, I guess every country has its share already. What do you think would happen when everyone does not care about the environment they live in? Both big and small, in their best way burn fossil fuel – the woman who uses firewood and the man that drives his car, give away carbon monoxide cheerfully. The multinationals, or so called big chip companies, joyfully release theirs, the local SMEs competing too. Oh! I’m not left out – my father’s generator. I heard my country Nigeria has only four percent (4%) of its land mass as forests, far below the international requirement of twenty five percent (25%). Everywhere I turn, to the left or right, especially when traveling to my hometown, and even yours too, I hardly see those tall trees I used to see when I was younger. My government and her people have earned some of their wealth through illegal logging of those trees.  Now, when I breathe out carbon dioxide, where are the trees to take it in? When I need my air, fresh and pure, no more trees to help. The greenhouse effect is here with us, even the ozone layer is crying out for help. The chloroflouro carbons are depleting its layer, and now we all too are crying because, the consequence of this is climate change. The seasons have changed. Please help, plant these trees, plant two for every one fell. Afforestation, stop greenhouse emission.”


No comments:

Post a Comment